Anvi Smart Defender is a free anti-malware application, which not only provides protection against the common set of threats computers are exposed to, but also includes a collection of optimization tools to ensure your system runs at top performance.
Installation & Requirements
Downloading the installation file and going through a few basic prompts like the license agreement is all it takes to get Anvi Smart Defender installed onto your system. The free version is currently under review, but there is also a commercial version available, offering some additional features.
Anvi Smart Defender supports all 32 and 64-bit versions of Windows starting with Windows XP.
Anvi’s UI has an appealing, polished look with the security status and a Quick Scan button taking a significant portion of the screen. At first run, the security status is of course “Very Dangerous” since the first step in using such an application is to perform a system scan and see if there is any malware present on your computer.
The Quick Scan automatically switches to the Scan tab and is over in just a few minutes, but we do not recommend using the Remove button or checking the “Repair after scan” option before you get to take a look at the results. Anvi issues a lot of false positives, including for useful system files and registry keys, which could cause damage to the system if removed. In other words, check scan results and skip the false positives from the removal process.
Anvi Smart Defender has a Cloud Scan function that lets you send any file for analysis via drag and drop. The Guard section includes several protection modules for privacy, startup items, files and processes. Any of them can be turned on/off from this pane.
The PC Tuneup module offers a solid set of tools for cleaning junk & temporary files, cookies, browsing history, RAM and defragment the hard drives. Users can customize the cleanup process in the Settings panel. The registry fix feature is also displayed in the PC Tuneup section, but it disabled in the free version of the program.
The Toolbox category is more of an advertisement than a real feature since it offers URLs linking to a few third-party applications also developed by Anvisoft.
– Supports all Windows versions starting with XP.
– Ensures protection against viruses, spyware, Trojans, and other malware.
– Polished, user-friendly interface with a dark, modern theme.
– Includes scan scheduler to automate scan tasks with options to fix problems automatically and/or shut down the PC when the scan completes.
– Provides a set of PC maintenance and optimization tools including junk file cleanup, fix registry problems, hard drive defragmentation and RAM cleanup.
– Automated update check.
– The scan process issues a lot of false positives. Detected items can include useful files and registry keys which removed could cause system errors and instability.
– The UI includes disabled features available only by purchasing the commercial version of the software as well as links towards third-party applications.
Anvi Smart Defender aims at incorporating both PC security and maintenance tools. For now, the result is not on par with the trustworthy applications provided by recognized developers. Below-average malware detection and high number of false positives make Anvi Smart Defender unsafe to use for less technically-inclined individuals.