Windows Firewall is a built-in security tool that determines which kinds of data can gain access to your computer. If it detects any suspicious connections, it can automatically block them. The Firewall is preinstalled in all Windows versions and it allows you to filter the traffic of your PC. You can also create rules or exceptions for all types of network, with which you have connection. Let’s see how you can edit these kinds of rules and add or remove apps from the list of exceptions.
Locate the List of Allowed Apps
- Open the Windows Firewall and press Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall, which is on the upper right side of the main window.
- Once you do it, you will see the list with every app that can communicate through the Windows Firewall. Next to every app you will be able to configure a rule about a type of network location, such as public or private, on which it will apply to. You can either choose to allow a specific app to communicate through one of those network locations, or through both of them.
Edit the List of Allowed Apps
- Click or tap the Change settings button to choose which communication rules you want disable or enable. This action requires you to check or uncheck the box that is near every rule. You can also select the network locations, in which the rule will apply to, by checking the box that is under the private or the public column.
NOTE: If you want to find out more about a specific rule, just select it with you mouse and then click Details from the bottom of the window. When you do it, a small window will appear, in which you can read an additional description of the rule.
Remove Items from the List of Allowed Apps
- In case you want to erase an app or feature from the list, just click the Remove button right next to Details.
- After this, you will be asked to confirm your decision. Click Yes to remove the item you want.
Add Items on the List of Allowed Apps
- Click or tap on the Allow another app button to add an app that you would like to allow communication through the Windows Firewall.
- Then, the Add an app window will show up, in which you will view all installed apps in your PC. Select the one you want to add from the available drop-down list. If you can’t find the app there, click the Browse button and choose its main exetutable file.
- You will be able to determine he location type, in which the exception will apply to. In order to do this, click or tap Network types.
- Next, select one of the available network types and press OK. You can either choose private or public network.
- Finally, click Add to finish the process.
The selected app will be added immediately in the list of allowed items.
As you notice the Windows Firewall can turn these kinds of important operations for your security into easy tasks. If your device works with Windows, you should feel lucky and begin taking advantage of the great features that the Windows Firewall provides you.