A heavily used iPhone will almost always have very little free storage space (if any) left. And it’s not just about not having enough space to take a photo, or save some new songs.
You can technically get locked out of the Mail app if your iPhone doesn’t have enough free storage space left. What happens is you open Mail and you will be greeted by an error message saying “Storage Almost Full – To use Mail, free up storage space by deleting unused apps or files, and then try again”.
How to fix the iOS Mail “Storage Almost Full” error
It’s easy to imagine that someone using his or her email for business or other important purposes doesn’t want to randomly get locked out of the Mail app. What iOS does is it basically forces you to go and clean up your storage, at least if you want to be able to use the Mail app again.
The good news is, even if you’re in a hurry you can quickly fix the iOS Mail “Storage Almost Full” error and regain control of the Mail app.
As you can see there’s a shortcut to the Settings app in the notification, so go ahead and tap on it. This will take you to the Storage settings screen and in case you exited the notification screen you can also manually navigate to that location.
Obviously, the easiest solution would be to make sure there is always some free storage space available on your iPhone or iPad. But if you’re experiencing the iOS Mail “Storage Almost Full” error, you obviously failed to do so.
Here are some of the easiest things you can do to quickly fix the iOS Mail “Storage Almost Full” error:
- Remove apps and games you no longer use
- Delete as many photos as possible, but make sure you have them backed up somewhere else first if they’re important
- You can also get rid of the “Documents and Data” folder which can get very bloated. Sadly this is not exactly a quick solution as you’d need to manually delete each app for which you want to remove those files and re-install it from the App Store
- Delete music you’re not listening to anymore (the same goes for videos)
- Remove old conversations from Messages
- Clear Safari cookies, data, and history
- Delete any kind of files or documents that are no longer necessary
You might be tempted to ignore the issue, but if you don’t fix the iOS Mail “Storage Almost Full” error, the system will eventually delete all the email messages you have stored on your iPhone. This is obviously a bit extreme and definitely not pleasant so if you’re experiencing this error it is best to take steps and fix it as soon as possible.
Have you ever experienced the “Storage Almost Full” error in the iOS Mail app and are you taking any steps to prevent it from happening again?