Although Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 differ a lot from their predeccessors, they still have many features in common with them. For instance, one process that did not change in Windows is the printing operation. Let’s see how you can print anything you want in Windows 8 and 8.1
NOTE: If you want to print something, you should first install and turn on your printer.
Print from Desktop Applications
If you own a desktop PC, which runs Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, you will notice that printing from desktop apps works the same as in Windows 7, Windows Vista and etc.
- Furthermore, every application, installed on your device, will display a File menu, if you click on it. In this menu you will see many options. One of these options is Print.
NOTE: You can also open the File menu of a program by using the Ctrl + P combination.
- As for newer applications, like Microsoft Office 2013, you will still be able to find the File menu by clicking on them, but in this case, when you open it, the Backstage view of the program will appear, in which you will notice the Print section.
- In case you prefer to print a document from the File Explorer, without even opening it, go to its location and select it.
- Once you do it, maximize the ribbon and go to the Share tab.
- In the Send group, shown in the Share tab click or tap the Print button.
Print from Modern apps in Windows 8
- Press the Ctrl + P keyboard combination, in order to access the Print window, in which you can select the printer you want to use.
- Note that this process is a bit longer, if you try to access the Print window by either using a mouse and keyboard or a touch-screen. Moreover, open the file that you want to print in the app, in which is found.
- Then go to the upper or bottom right corner of the screen and move your cursor up or down to access the Charms. On a touch-screen device swipe from the right edge of the screen towards center.
NOTE: Alternatively, you can use the Win + C combination to bring up the Charms bar.
- In the Charms bar choose the Devices charm. Next, you will see your printer, alongside with the other devices that you can use.
NOTE: On your keyboard press Win + K to open the Devices charm.
- Click or tap the desired printer and you will be shown a preview of the document you want to print and a list of basic settings.
- If you want to view more settings, click or tap the More settings link, which is right under the list of settings. Be aware though that the settings, available on your device depend on your printer, its type and the Windows drivers.
- When you finish adjusting the settings, according to your preferences, click or tap the Back arrow and press Print.
Print from Modern app in Windows 8.1
You will notice that printing in Windows 8.1 is similar to the same process in Windows 8.
- Press the Ctrl + P combination to bring up the Print window, where you could choose the printer that you want to use.
- Then open the Charms bar by using the instructions, described in the previous section and select the Devices charm.
- In the Devices charm click or tap Print.
- In the next window, you will see a preview of the file, which you are going to print, and a list of printing settings, according to your printer, its drivers and the type of the document that you are about to print.
However, the only difference you will see in Windows 8.1 is the User these settings in all apps switch, found on the bottom of the list. If you turn on the switch, the settings. which you have configured, will be saved as default.
- Once you finished adjusting the settings, press the Print button.
As you can see from this guide, printing in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 is the same simple process as it was in the previous Windows versions.