A few days ago, Google updated the Google Play Games app with support for video recording and publishing. It’s not meant to replace the YouTube Gaming app as it doesn’t offer streaming capabilities. Think of it like Google’s way to make gaming an even more important part of YouTube and possibly a way to draw in more YouTube Gaming users from the competition.
Here’s how to do it:
- Open the Google Play Games app (you’ll need the latest version for this to work).
- Select the game you want to play.
- Don’t launch it just yet. Before you open it, tap on the Record button.
- You can set the video quality to either 720p or 480p and add in your own commentary through the front facing camera of your device.
- When you’re done simply use the ‘Edit & upload to YouTube’ option to share the video you just recorded on your YouTube channel.
Recording in Google Play Games is very simple, but keep in mind if you need streaming capabilities, you won’t find them here, and in that case Twitch or YouTube Gaming would be more appropriate solutions.
The resolution options for recording are a bit disappointing at the moment since you can only choose between 720 or 480p resolution. There are plenty of quad HD and 1080p smartphones that are capable of recording at 1080p resolution and such an option would come in handy.
However, considering gameplay recording has only recently been added to Google Play Games, we’re sure Google will make 1080p available in the app at some point. If this works out well, we could see a big boost in gaming content on YouTube, that can also be seen on YouTube Gaming. It’s still far from Twitch, but Google seems set on the right path.