Flixster is both Android and iOS compatible. Some call it the best app for checking out movie listings. You can see the nearest movie theaters, rent or buy movies available in Netflix library to watch online, or download to your Android or iOS device. Let us see the full list of features.
- Flixster displays movie listings based on your physical location; you get detailed resume of show times, trailers.
- Flixster displays a detailed map of your area and nearby theaters, plus movies they are featuring.
- You can connect your Flixster and Facebook accounts, and rate movies and comment on them on your Facebook.
- Flixster has convenient Yelp integration to help you find the best restaurant in your neighborhood.
- With Flixster, you can save your Netflix movies to your queue.
- Flixster displays DVD release dates.
- Flixster is integrated with Rotten Tomatoes ratings and reviews.
- The search function is very convenient, allowing you to search for movies, actors, directors, writers and more.
- iTunes users can buy and rent movies directly through Flixster.
- There are plenty of movie trivia quizzes for movie fans.
Being quite a comprehensive app, Flixster gives you detailed movie listings based on your device’s location and a lot of additional information: trailers, prices, DVD release dates, restaurants close to your house or movie theatre. The app seems to perform fast and immaculate, boasting a colorful list of social platforms it integrates with to allow simple sharing, commenting and reviewing options.
One major feature that is missing from Flixster’s arsenal is booking tickets directly from the app. It is currently impossible to filter movies that will soon be playing in your area. For example, you want to go to the movies within an hour or so, and you just want to check out the movies in your nearest theaters that will be playing within that time frame, you will have to go through the listings of each theater separately.
Flixster is a comprehensive app with a rich plethora of features and excellent integration with social networks, but it lacks some feature that might be determining for many users, buying tickets, for example. And that is where comes the competition.
Android and iOS stores are abundant in movie showtime apps, each of them boasting of a large number of cool features for the movie fans. Fandango for iOS and Android, however, excels where its competitors fall short – accuracy and the possibility to buy tickets directly from the app, and pick them up at the movie theater using your smartphone.
- Fandango uses your device’s GPS to locate you and display most relevant results: theaters, showtimes, tickets’ availability and the option to purchase tickets directly from your app.
- It is possible to filter cinemas according to IMAX availability or stadium seating.
- You can create a list of your favorite theaters to receive results for them the next time you search. This way, the app displays the most relevant results with the opportunity to buy tickets for the theaters that are closest to you, or that are your favorite according to some other criteria.
- You can search for movies according to a wide range of criteria: name, date, time, and the like. However, the most valuable asset in Fandango’s features is the possibility to search for the upcoming movies, or opening this week movies, so that you can plan and buy tickets in advance. This is especially important for those of you who like to watch the premieres and the most important releases of the best movies.
- In case you spontaneously made up your mind to go to the movies, you can click “Go Now” and see the selection of movies playing in the next hour.
- Naturally, you can read critics’ and users’ reviews of the movies, movies’ descriptions, cast, duration and other relevant information.
- Fandango displays Metacritic reviews for the movies for sale.
- You can buy tickets directly from your smartphone and claim them at the theatre by scanning your smartphone.
- If you are using a calendar, Fandango is sending ticket and showtime information to your calendar so that you can share the appointment with your friends.
- As in Flixster, you can review and rate the movies after you have seen them and share this information on your Facebook.
- Fandango has a free version available for tablet users.
Fandango wins the competition, with the unquestionable superiority in the feature list. It is fast, responsive, and it provides the accurate and up-to-date listings and showtimes. The best feature of Fandango is the possibility to buy tickets directly from your smartphone or tablet and claim them at the cinema some minutes before the movie begins. No more standing in the line, or buying the worst seats ever just because you came in late.
The possibility to see what titles will be playing within the next hour, the next week or upcoming movies is great for both spontaneous and planned appointments. The apps will be sending you detailed ticket and appointment information on your calendar so you can share it with your friends. Later, you can rate and review the movie and post a review on your Facebook.
Reviews from critics and app users will also help you determine if you want to see the movie, or not. Combine that with extensive search options and the possibility to create lists of favorite theaters and you will get a perfect fit for your cinema visits planning and management.
The Cons section of Fandango is going to be short, since there is not much to point a finger at. It does not have Yelp integration as Flixster, but Fandango focuses on the core functionality with far better knack, going as far as allowing you to buy tickets, and see movies playing within the next hour in your neighborhood. So, you don’t get to see the nearest bars in the app, but you get to buy tickets to the premieres of the best movies ahead of time.
There is a reason we focused on Flixster and Fandango, and that is mainly because these two titles seem to be the leading in the industry. The number of apps both for Android and iOS that display movies showtimes is absolutely ridiculous, but the greatest part of them fall short where Flixster and Fandango excel. Modern UI, fast response and accurate listings, combined with the possibility to buy tickets and share your opinion about movies on Facebook – these features make Fandango a winner for now.
IMDB for iOS and Android offers quite a lot of information on movies, if you are familiar with the IMDB website. It focuses on the core functionality and offers no tickets booking, but it has extensive and accurate information on release dates, movies playing in your nearby theater, and most importantly, get accurate and detailed information on facts relevant to your favorite movies and actors.