Windows 8.1 offers you a wide variety of apps in order to cover all your needs. One of them is the Sound Recorder app. This program allows you to record audio for up to three hours per recording file. Although the Vista edition of the audio recording program could record audio for a longer duration than three hours, the latest version of the Sound Recorder provides you with more options than its Windows predecessors. For example, you can possibly share your audio recordings with others, edit them and even trim their length. In this tutorial we are going to focus on those features and you find out how you can perform them with Sound Recorder in Windows 8.1
Open the Sound Recorder app in Windows 8.1
- First of all, you can launch the app by tapping on its tile, which is on the Start screen.
- In case the Sound Recorder does not have a tile, available on the Start screen, you can easily access it by going to the Start screen and typing “sound recorder” in the Search box. After this, select the Sound Recorder search result from the list.
NOTE: Be aware that you will notice two Sound Recorder search results. The first one represents the Sound Recorder app and if you choose the second one, you will open the the desktop version of the program. Both of them have the same name, but you can easily identify the Sound Recorder app from its icon.
- An alternative way to access the Sound Recorder is through the Apps view. To do this, go to the Start screen and move the cursor to the bottom left corner of the screen, right below the last tile on the first column.
- Click the down arrow icon to open up the list of the available applications. If you are using a touch-screen device, go to the Start screen and slide upwards to access the Apps view.
- Click or tap Sound Recorder, shown in the Tools folder.
Start a Recording with the Sound Recorder app in Windows 8.1
When you open the Sound Recorder app for the first time, you will see a timer, which is set to zero, and a circular button with a microphone in its center. This is the Record button. Note that you will also be asked to allow the app to use your microphone. In this case, click or tap Allow to enable recording.
- In order to start a recording, click or tap the Record button and start talking.
- You can pause your recording whenever you want by clicking or tapping the Pause button.
- If you want to resume your recording, click or tap the Pause button one more time.
NOTE: You should remember that the app will automatically pause your recording, when you move it to the background. If you want to continue recording alongside with other apps, you will have to use them side by side.
- If you want to stop your recording, click or tap the Stop button. The recording will automatically be stored in the Sound Recorder app.
NOTE: Your recordings will be deleted, when you uninstall the app from your Windows 8.1 device.
You can view your newly created recordings in the recordings list, which is on the right side of the app’s screen.
Rename a Recording with the Sound Recorder app in Windows 8.1
- The name of your recordings will be Recording, by default. If you want to rename the recordings you create, you should first find them in the recordings lists and then click or tap on them.
- Once you do this, click or tap the Rename button from the menu, shown on the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Type the desired name for your recording in the corresponding field and then click or tap Rename to confirm your decision.
When you finish this process, the recording will be renamed and you will able to see it in the recordings list.
Share a Recording with the Sound Recorder app in Windows 8.1
As you will notice, you will not be able to save your recording and then access it from the Sound Recorder app. However, you can share recordings that you make via email. Moreover, you can attach your recordings to your email and then send them to friends or co-workers. The file will use the .m4a. format and the receivers can easily download it and play it.
- If you want to share a recording, you need to find it in the recordings list and then select it.
- Then you should open the Charms bar and choose the Share charm.
- In the Share charm click or tap on the Mail button.
- Type the address of the person, to whom you want to send the selected recording, and click or tap the Send button.
NOTE: On the bottom of the screen you can add a message for the person, who will receive your recording.
Trim a Recording with the Sound Recorder app in Windows 8.1
If you think that your recording is too long, the Sound Recorder app gives you the chance to trim it according to your preferences.
- Go to the recordings list and click or tap on the recording you want to trim.
- When you do this, a menu with three available options will display on the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Click or tap the Trim option.
- After this, drag the white ends of the timeline to the desired start and stop points. If you want to make sure that you chose the right points, you can possibly play your recording. If you are satisfied with the new start and stoppoints, click or tap the OK button.
- Once you do it, you will be shown two options. You can either save the trimmed recording as a new file by selecting the Save a copy option, or you can replace the old recording with the trimmed one by selecting the Update original option.
Delete a Recording with the Sound Recorder app in Windows 8.1
Finally, if you realize that you do not need a recording anymore, you could simply delete it from the recordings list.
- Click or tap on the recording you want to erase from the recordings list.
- Click or tap the Delete option from the menu on the bottom right. The app will ask you to confirm the removal of the recording. Click Delete to finish the process.
Sound Recorder is the best tool you can select, in order to quickly create a recording. In addition, the app has many great features, which will help you get the best possible audio outcome.