GNU Image Manipulation SoftwareGIMP is a free image editing/retouching program for raster graphics, available for all the popular operating systems, including Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X and GNU/Linux.
GIMP is suitable for many purposes including image retouching, free-form drawing, basic image editing (resizing, editing and cropping photos, create photomontages), batch processing, image conversion and more.
GIMP’s functionality can be increased easily with plug-ins and extensions.
- Complete painting tools collection such as Brush, Pencil, Airbrush, Clone and others.
- High quality anti-aliasing for all the paint tools, by using sub-pixel sampling.
- Gradient editor and blend tool with advanced options.
- Custom brushes and patterns can be used.
- The tile based memory management provides unlimited image sizing (within available disk space).
- Unlimited number of images can be opened simultaneously.
- Support for alpha channel is enabled.
- Non-destructive image editing is provided through layers and channels.
- Undo/Redo feature is limited only by disk space.
- Text layers are fully editable.
- Full set of transformation tools including rotate, scale, shear and flip.
- Multiple selection tools are available such as rectangle, ellipse, free, fuzzy and intelligent.
- Bezier and polygonal selections can be performed by using the advanced path tool.
- Paths and selections are transformable.
- Selections can be painted easily thanks to the Quickmask feature.
- GIMP contains a Procedural Database that enables calling internal GIMP functions from external programs as in Script-fu.
- Advanced scripting capabilities are provided (Scheme, Python, Perl).
- New file formats and effect filters can be added via plug-ins (more than 100 plug-ins are available).
- Animations can be saved and loaded in frame-as-layer format.
- Support for MNG is enabled.
- Frame Navigator, Onion Skin and Bluebox functions are provided (in GAP, the GIMP Animation Package).
- Supports multiple file formats including bmp, gif, jpeg, mng, pcx, pdf, png, ps, psd, svg, tiff, tga, xpm and many more.
- Load, display, convert and save functions are enabled for a large number of file formats.
- SVG path import/export is supported.
GIMP Download Information
May 15, 2019
4.5 / 5 (43 votes)
Not yet reviewed